Prove They Are Alive!
За демократию и права человека в Туркменистане  For Democracy and Human Rights in Turkmenistan
19.09.2017  
NEWS Январь 2017 г. АРХИВ НОВОСТЕЙ
Год     месяц    
17.01.2017, 13:51 Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Former Top Turkmen Security Official Dies In Prison

The former deputy chief of Turkmenistan’s Committee for National Security (KNB), Tirkish Tyrmyev, has reportedly died in custody at the age of 66.

An international human rights campaign called Prove They Are Alive issued a statement on January 16 saying that Tyrmyev's body had been delivered to his relatives on January 13.

The group's statement came three days after Tyrmyev's daughter wrote on Facebook that her father's body was handed to their relatives in Ashgabat.

There was no official confirmation of Tyrmyev's death.

Sources in Ashgabat confirmed to RFE/RL that Tyrmyev's body was delivered to relatives.

Tyrmyev was arrested in April 2002 and sentenced in May 2002 to 10 years in prison on charges of abusing his power. Other top security officers were arrested with him, including KNB chief Muhammed Nazarov.

In 2012, just days before he was due to be released, Tyrmyev was convicted of attacking a prison guard. His prison term was extended to 2019.

04.01.2017, 15:18 Gundogar
Australia is not coming to Ashgabat for 2017 Asian Indoor Games

The Australian National Olympic Commettee (AOC) released a statement that they are not planning to send athletes to participate in the V Asian Indoors and Martial Arts Games 2017 in Ashgabat.

''The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) was very grateful to be invited to the Ashgabat 2017 Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games.

The AOC conferred with a number of the sports that could participate at the Games. After discussions the AOC was made aware that the majority of these sports had already locked in their schedules for the year with many of them having long term plans in place focusing on the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

The AOC appreciates the invitation from the Olympic Council of Asia and will again look into competing at the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games in the future if invited'', says the AOC statement.

03.01.2017, 19:35 Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
Turkmenistan Halts Gas Exports To Iran Over Payment Dispute

Turkmenistan has «suddenly» halted gas supplies to Iran in a dispute between the two countries over arrears, the Iranian National Gas Company says.

«The gas company of Turkmenistan has cut gas exports to Iran, contrary to the agreement reached, by demanding immediate payment of arrears,» the Iranian National Gas Company said in a January 1 statement.

The statement said the move was a «sheer violation» of the gas deal between the two countries.

The statement said the two countries had been holding discussions on the payment and amount of arrears Iran owes to Turkmenistan.

There was no immediate reaction from Turkmenistan.

Iran has imported natural gas from Turkmenistan since 1997 for distribution in the north of the country.

The National Iranian Gas Company asked consumers to «pay attention to consumption,» but added that with domestic production rising, the country could cope by making savings.

Turkmenistan currently exports up to 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Iran, its third-largest trading partner after China and Turkey.

Tehran said in December that Turkmenistan had threatened to stop the gas flow because of arrears amounting to about USD 1.8 billion.

But last week Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zanganeh was quoted by the Mehr news agency as saying that Turkmenistan had reached a temporary agreement with Tehran to continue gas exports.

Based on reporting by AFP, Reuters, and Shana.ir

АРХИВ НОВОСТЕЙ
Год     месяц